St Peter's Church, Monkton Farleigh
Monkton Farleigh, Bradford on Avon, BA15 2QJ The traditional rural church of St Peter’s always gives a very warm welcome. It is often said that "nobody leaves before they have shared coffee". Nestled in the village of Monkton Farleigh this church is an essential part of the village community, offering a place of worship and social connection. The parish includes the village itself and the hamlets of Pinckney Green, Farleigh Rise and Farleigh Wick, which together have a population of about 400 people. St Peter's church has a close knit congregation, enjoying traditional Church of England services. Facilities within the church for those attending a service include toilets and a hearing induction loop. On street parking is available around the church. Disabled access is not officially available, yet people using wheel chairs regularly access services, with some help from others attending.
Churchfields, the village school maintains close links with St Peter’s. In particular, pupils participate in the nativity service and carols at Christmas when a reindeer is often seen. Members of the church regularly present Open the Book sessions at the school and lead Collective Worship. Some of the other groups that run in the village, and are open to all, include: Coffee Mornings for the community - a twice monthly opportunity to catch up with friends over coffee and cake; Knit and Natter group; and a WI branch.
The annual church fete is undoubtedly one of the best and most popular in the area attracting local people as well as visitors from further afield. Visitors keep coming back to not only to enjoy the beautiful venue for the fete, but also to soak up the atmosphere of a traditional English village fete. St Peter's Church is available for Weddings, Baptisms and Funerals. Please visit this page for further details.
Safe guarding: Our commitment
We are committed to the safeguarding and protection of all children, young people and adults when they are vulnerable. The care, nurture of, and respectful pastoral ministry of all children and adults is extremely important to us. We aim to establish safe, caring communities which provide a loving environment where there is a culture of informed vigilance of the dangers of abuse. In line with safer recruitment principles we carefully select and train all those whose responsibilities within the church require then to have a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) report, including training in the DBS disclosures. Each church has a Designated Safeguarding Representative. In the absence of this person, Ann as Rector fulfills this role. Find our safeguarding policy and the contact details of our safe guarding representatives here.
The History of St Peter's Church.
The earliest part of the church is the late 12th century Norman door, which is round headed and decorated with zigzag moulding. The inner order of the arch has been cut away, probably in the restoration in 1874. The square tower is probably 13th century and has a saddleback roof. There is a Norman font. Apart from these features, the church was rebuilt in successive stages in 1844 and 1874. On the south side of the chancel there is a one storey rectangular addition, built as a Sunday School but now used as a vestry.